Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Grinding machine for drum brakes.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,628 Times in 705 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by olderdan View Post
    Great machine and a solution to a common problem, it certainly beats my method of gluing diamond cloth on sacrificial brake shoes and riding round the block a few times.
    Great web site by the way, I will register soon out of interest.
    Dan,
    I have done similar, and it can remove the glaze and restore some braking but it doesn't do much for an out of true drum.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks

tonyfoale's Tools
    Delete....

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by tonyfoale; Dec 24, 2016 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Can't figure out how to delete.

Banned
    Supporting Member

Thanks
    Very good design & execution. I'd made one change which would be to include a way to use a single diamond dresser to true up the grinding wheel. Otherwise you'll have chatter from the out of round and not concentric wheel.

Thanks
    Love your idea regarding grinding of old motorcycle brake drums. I had occasion a number of years ago to repair a set of drums from Yamaha road racing motorcycle. These four leading brakes were notorious for heat warping and were a real pain in the ass to keep in top shape. I set up a grinder attachment in my lathe to do the actual grinding of the drums. Working slick for the three or four I had to do. I've followed your work on motorcycle chassis development for a number of years and have been very impressed with your ideas and designs. I have a picture of design that you developed for a three wheeled tilting motorcycle. Did you ever build one of these bikes? I have had an interest for a number of years to build such a bike and was impressed with your design for a trike utilizing what I believe was a BMW boxer engine layout.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kjrhowell For This Useful Post:

tonyfoale (Dec 25, 2016)

Thanks

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Stan View Post
    Very good design & execution. I'd made one change which would be to include a way to use a single diamond dresser to true up the grinding wheel. Otherwise you'll have chatter from the out of round and not concentric wheel.
    I always true grinding wheels with a diamond, internal or external. I get no chatter.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to tonyfoale For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Dec 30, 2016)

Thanks

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by kjrhowell View Post
    Love your idea regarding grinding of old motorcycle brake drums. I had occasion a number of years ago to repair a set of drums from Yamaha road racing motorcycle. These four leading brakes were notorious for heat warping and were a real pain in the ass to keep in top shape.
    I can agree with that. They were large and so they made some sections too minimal to keep the weight down, with the results that you point out.

Quote Originally Posted by kjrhowell View Post
    I've followed your work on motorcycle chassis development for a number of years and have been very impressed with your ideas and designs. I have a picture of design that you developed for a three wheeled tilting motorcycle. Did you ever build one of these bikes? I have had an interest for a number of years to build such a bike and was impressed with your design for a trike utilizing what I believe was a BMW boxer engine layout.
    Unfortunately, that TTW (Tilting Three Wheeler) was one of the very few projects that I started and didn't finish. However, I have over the years been involved in numerous tilting projects as a consultant. One right now actually. I wrote the TTW chapter for the SAE book "Alternative Vehicles in the 21st Century" by R.Q.Riley. That is a very interesting book if you get a chance to read it.

Is this the design that you were thinking of?
    Grinding machine for drum brakes.-qt2.jpg Grinding machine for drum brakes.-qt4.jpg

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,621 Times in 11,284 Posts
    Congratulations tonyfoale - your Drum Brake Grinder is the Tool of the Week!

With last week's win for your Horizontal Milling Machine, that's two in a row! This is a rare feat around here, and you're in excellent company - previous two-in-a-row winners are Brendon, with his Marking Gauge followed by his Dovetailing Bench and mklotz, with his Bench Block Enhancements followed by his Model Cement Mixer.

Big week around here, especially considering it was a holiday, and we still haven't caught up on the backlog of new entries. Other nice entries this week included a Toe Jack by DanLins, a Panavise Prismatic Jaw by mklotz, an Extendable Air Nozzle by frugalolegeezer, a Cupholder Camera Mount by Harvey Melvin Richards, a beautiful and cleverly-photographed Serving Spoon by Christophe Mineau, a Brake Line Bending Fixture by astroracer, as well as two highly detailed write-ups by rgsparber, for Dremel Drillpress Improvements and Crush Collet.

tonyfoale - after your first win, the prize is a $25 online gift card, in your choice of Amazon, PayPal, Giftrocket, or bitcoin. Please PM me your current email address and gift card choice and I'll get it sent over right away.

Congrats again and nice job!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

tonyfoale (Dec 30, 2016)

Thanks

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Congratulations tonyfoale - your Drum Brake Grinder is the Tool of the Week!

With last week's win for your Horizontal Milling Machine, that's two in a row! This is a rare feat around here, and you're in excellent company
    Wow that's two surprises. Many thanks again. Not what I expected when I joined the forum and not I was aiming for. However, now you have put me under pressure, I am very competitive and so I find myself thinking what I can do to pull off 3 in a row. I'd better start typing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    - after your first win, the prize is a $25 online gift card, in your choice of Amazon, PayPal, Giftrocket, or bitcoin. Please PM me your current email address and gift card choice and I'll get it sent over right away.
    Congrats again and nice job!
    Amazon and Paypal are the only 2 of those that I use. If the Amazon card is valid for either the UK or Spanish Amazons then I'll go for that. My email address is in my signature below.

Again many thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Keep up the good work Tony
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks