Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Homemade Tool & Cutter grinder (with a difference).

Thanks
    Thanked 2,627 Times in 705 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Charron63 View Post
    the links in your dropbox link are dead sir, and btw, AWESOME!!!! job on getting rid of complicated moose buggery and getting to the heart of the matter for T/C
    Thanks for pointing that out. I ran out of dropbox space a while back and cleaned out what I thought were only for friends' use. I obviously went too far. I'll see if I can put them somewhere else and then chang the the links.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Wonderful thread. I am looking to sharpen some carbide scarping bits and would like to have something along these lines. Kinda basic question here. What rpm should a 4 in diamond wheel be turning for optimum carbide sharpening and what grit do you recommend?.....steve

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    I will "Second" on the VLC software better than stuff you must spend MONEY for!!!

Thanks
    great thread!!I always wanted a dedicated grinder ,I doubt Ill be making one.but I did see something last week at my brothers that was in this thread.....sort of. MY personal very little used extremely accurate, perfect finish valve grinder I bought 30+ years ago just to do our personal engines is over at my brothers shop behind his home as I had not built my shop yet...and it just get left there. I've used it about 8 times in 15 years...well to make a long story short. I see yourT&C grinder can do valves....well last week i was over to see his new lathe and other new toys and...there is my valve grinder..all dirty&nasty looking missing parts he says hey Im making a T&C grinder!!! WTF??? dont eff up my valve grinder!!!! he replied "OH I didnt I just unbolted the valve chuck portion so i can build a multi axsis holder for the tools, not changing the machine it's self...execcpt for using a diamond wheel witch should cut valves as good or better", I was about to ****!!!( this machine put a mirror like finish on the valves and perfect concentricity, unlike most valve grinders that are wore out or never did a good job when new). (ive checked many machines including some new ones,had a buddy at a mill spec machine shop inspect the valves of each machine.) so im kinda tore up about my machine...but kinda excited to have a T&C grinder....but I doubt Ill ever get my grinder back....of course I only have a few sets of heads in me left...that may just be making it worse. keep up the great work & ideas!!!!!! and take a good look at the machines sitting in corners as they may also be either repurposed or....alterd and have lots of more life left in them. I wish I had gotten all the machines Ive passed up in in the years....
    Ill have to forward this thread to him

Thanks

tonyfoale's Tools
    Mark,

I have a Sioux valve grinder and I did spend time looking at it with a view to making the T&C grinder out of it but I just could not see how it could be made as universal as I wanted. The spindle height just was not high enough and the construction of the machine didn't really lend itself to giving up the spindle assembly in a convenient manner. I had a spindle from a mill/drill that I found unexpectedly at a flea market.
    I bought the Sioux when I lived in the US for 3 years, it cost me $50. A repair shop wanted it out of the way and no longer used it. It is very accurate. There are a ton of people on the net who complain about these machines, valve concentricity being the main issue. I think that is simply because most people don't know how to use the chuck properly. I know several people have fitted 4 jaw chucks or ER collets but it just isn't necessary.
    A word of warning - DO NOT USE DIAMOND WHEELS ON STEEL STUFF. Why? Well diamond is carbon and carbon is the main alloying element in steel, need I say more? CBN is for steel, diamond is for carbide.
    Did you see my post on using the T&C grinding head on my mill to make a surface grinder?

Thanks
    yup the Sioux catches hell a lot, most of all issues if the machine was good when made are user inflected. always flush the chuck before and after using the machine. mine is a old snappon unit ,I dont recall who was the parrent company,winona I think, but that was long ago.... I also had 2 Sioux and and a kwickway at the performance machine shop I ran for around 25 years or more. 1 sioux was dead,( somebody gave it to us that way for parts) the other was about wore out( needed new chuck kit) I used it for rough grinding & changing head size on valves, then regrind on the kwickway witch was almost as good as mine at home...almost.
    I had thought about making a serface grinder on my mill & flywheel grinder too with the rotery table. but....Im trying to wind down on everything now days.although I did spend this last week reworking a set of 6061T6 wheels for my vw that were pure poop when I get them new.( bolt pattern not quite right so i made them right & made 6061 incerts for them to fix the 1, over sized holes( I presume so you can center then wheel your self) and so I do not have to center the wheel my self because of the wonkey wheel pattern. and also add some styling to them with 8 ,1 1/4" holes around them. and a brushed satin finish instead of polished. I do use my mill for a seat&guide machine,I made floating 2 way tilt table for it, then made my own 3D ball head seat cutter that takes the serdi type incerts with multiple angles&radi's in one operation. it also counter bores the head for the seats. I never thought about using diamond wheel on valves I aint that smart... wish i was.. I use titanium and/or stainless valves in everything I build. Now days I just do my own stuff. Ill look at your serface grinder mill. thanks!!

Thanks
    Your videos are no longer available, is there a way could repost or send me a link? I would love to build a sharpener and yours looks like something I could build.
    Thanks for posting

Thanks

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by teachingscience View Post
    Your videos are no longer available, is there a way could repost or send me a link? I would love to build a sharpener and yours looks like something I could build.
    Sorry about that. I had the videos on Dropbox and I deleted them when I needed more space without thinking through the consequences of broken links.
    I need to go through all of my posts to this forum to see what links are broken and then get those videos up on Youtube.
    Finding the time is the difficult part. If you haven't heard anything in a week then please send me a reminder.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to tonyfoale For This Useful Post:

philipUsesWood&Brass (Oct 24, 2018)

Thanks

Okapi's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyfoale View Post
    Sorry about that. I had the videos on Dropbox and I deleted them when I needed more space without thinking through the consequences of broken links.
    I need to go through all of my posts to this forum to see what links are broken and then get those videos up on Youtube.
    Finding the time is the difficult part. If you haven't heard anything in a week then please send me a reminder.
    Just about hosting your pictures and videos, on your website, if you make it yourself, it's possible to host a lot of Go in the contract of your host, normally about 10Go for each domain you have ?

Thanks

Ralphxyz's Tools
    Tony, where did your videos go? None of the links work!!

Ralph

Thread Information