Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Po' Boy's Blanchard Grinder

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    The entries about compressed air and machine ways are correct; many toolrooms have no compressed air lines at all, just vacuums.
    But dry cloth is not going to stop the finest grit and material; they migrate farthest. I use heavy trash bags cut open to make sheets, especially for wet grind or turning. Dry work, I use newsprint or rosin paper, lightly wet with used oil. Even turning cast iron, cleanup is a breeze.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks
    Wondered if this was the grinding wheel you used? https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW4961...ustomerReviews

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

Crusty's Tools
    This is the one that I used. It's advertised for metal grinding.
    If you can't make it precise make it adjustable.

Thanks
    Thanks, Crusty. What RPM were you running?

Thanks
    I really appreciate your comments about compressed air. I use a vacuum and brush and sometimes magnets for steel. I hadn't thought about putting down newsprint with a little oil to catch the worst of it. Anything that makes clean up easier is good to know.

Thanks

Crusty's Tools
    I used oil wet blue jean rags for a shield but my plans include using an old shower curtain underneath to stop any grit that might get through the denim. If you wipe the oil from all surfaces before you begin so that any grit won't stick then a shop vac will get nearly all of it.

A big retrieval magnet is a frequently used item in my shop. The first time I used it hanging on paracord to swing over the floor in my gunsmithing area I found enough parts to pay for the magnet.
    If you can't make it precise make it adjustable.

Thanks
    I used this same method several years ago on some hardened pins that needed to all be ground the same height. I used a shoulder bolt for the arbor. Here&#8 217;s a link to the article at Poor mans surface grinder on the Hobby machinist website
    Thread starterPhilco Start dateNov 24, 2013
    P
    Philco
    Active User
    Registered
    JoinedOct 3, 2011
    Messages231
    Nov 24, 2013
    I am making a fixture to rebuild a component inside an automatic transmission. While making the fixture, I had to grind off some hardened steel pins to an exact height. I grabbed a tool that I had made by "accident"for another project an thought someone else may benefit from it.
    Take a 3/4 diameter shoulder bolt an cut the head off. This leaves you with a arbor to mount a grinding wheel on. Run the machine at the highest RPM an move x & y. Take light cuts an be sure to cover up the machine to protect from the dust.
    I hope this tool will help some one else
    Philco

image.jpg image.jpg
    Like Reactions: wolfganggt
    C
    Charley Davidson
    Active User
    Registered
    JoinedNov 8, 2011
    Messages1,679
    Nov 24, 2013
    You're one of the smartest guys I know & thrifty, Great job & idea.

xalky
    xalky
    Registered
    Registered
    JoinedJun 17, 2012
    Messages2,215
    Nov 24, 2013
    I love it. I've been thinking about how to implement something similar. I never thought about using a hand grinding wheel. I just don't have the room in my garage right now for a surface grinder, I wouldn't use it much anyways. My original thought was to use a right angle head with a surface grinding wheel mounted to it, but I don't have right angle attachment for my bridgeport....yet:lmao:
    GK1918
    GK1918
    Active User
    Registered
    JoinedNov 21, 2010
    Messages1,599
    Nov 24, 2013
    Philco, another step further, check out some of the stones they use for marble and such, many styles and grits. Thats what I use on my
    shaper ''surface grinder attachment".
    xalky
    xalky
    Registered
    Registered
    JoinedJun 17, 2012
    Messages2,215
    Nov 24, 2013
    GK1918 said:

Philco, another step further, check out some of the stones they use for marble and such, many styles and grits. Thats what I use on my
    shaper ''surface grinder attachment".

Link please!
    C
    Charley Davidson
    Active User
    Registered
    JoinedNov 8, 2011
    Messages1,679
    Nov 24, 2013
    Phil, You should just come & buy one of my grinders, either the surface grinder or the DoAll T&C grinder. I'll keep the other.
    george wilson
    george wilson
    Global Moderator
    H-M Supporter Gold Member
    JoinedJul 26, 2011
    Messages4,139
    Dec 10, 2013
    I'd really hate to do any grinding on my milling machine. Be sure to completely cover everything with plastic ,like a garbage bag. I suggest masking tape or duct tape to hold it in place. When finished, CAREFULLY remove the plastic, folding it in on itself,making slow movements to not stir up dust. An extra wipe down afterwards with an oily cloth would also be good.
    Like our site? Upgrade to Donating Member status and remove ads!

J
    jamie76x
    Active User
    Registered
    JoinedFeb 23, 2013
    Messages202
    Dec 10, 2013
    If you ran a diamond across the face and O.D of the wheel... I'm sure it would work much better. Why not just use carbide on the hardened pins? As mentioned, I would not want to grind on my mill.

P
    Philco
    Active User
    Registered
    JoinedOct 3, 2011
    Messages231
    Dec 13, 2013
    12-10-13, 08:19 AMgeorge wilson
    Re: Poor mans surface grinder

I'd really hate to do any grinding on my milling machine. Be sure to completely cover everything with plastic ,like a garbage bag. I suggest masking tape or duct tape to hold it in place. When finished, CAREFULLY remove the plastic, folding it in on itself,making slow movements to not stir up dust. An extra wipe down afterwards with an oily cloth would also be good.

12-10-13, 12:56 PMjamie76x
    Re: Poor mans surface grinder

If you ran a diamond across the face and O.D of the wheel... I'm sure it would work much better. Why not just use carbide on the hardened pins? As mentioned, I would not want to grind on my mill.

I totally agree with both statements about grinding on the machine. I stated that in my OP. I don't make this a habit of using this set up on my machine. I only use this method in an " emergency" type of set up. In fact I had used a hand grinder to grind the pins down to within a few thousands of the desired height.The pins all had to be the same height for the project to work out as I had planned. I couldn't see sending this part out to a grinding shop for a few thousands. I didn't show my true set up in the picture, I actually had a drape of oily rags hanging down close to the 'out- spray' which catches any grinding dust produced. Jamie, I used this method because I could have better control of the outcome by raising the knee of the mill by 1/2 thousands at a time.
    If there are any newbies reading this post, be aware of what damage you can do to a machine by using it as a grinder. If you do use this method, be sure to take George's advice & cover up good.
    Phil

pjf134
    pjf134
    Active User
    Registered
    JoinedJan 26, 2011
    Messages622
    Dec 13, 2013
    #1 0
    Do not use diamond to cut steel as it would tear up the diamond. I seen a shop guy take a $500 diamond blade and cut some steel angles and the blade got wasted in a matter of minutes.
    Paul
    The_Crusher
    The_Crusher
    Active User
    Registered
    JoinedDec 19, 2013
    Messages34
    Dec 22, 2013
    #1 1
    Zip cut wheel on an angle grinder to cut them close and then put it on the mill to finish height with carbide. (Duct tape around each one as to not nick the surface)
    pestilence
    pestilence
    Active User
    Registered
    JoinedJun 23, 2011
    Messages120
    Dec 22, 2013
    #1 2
    pjf134 said:
    Do not use diamond to cut steel as it would tear up the diamond. I seen a shop guy take a $500 diamond blade and cut some steel angles and the blade got wasted in a matter of minutes.
    Paul
    He meant use a diamond to dress the grinding wheel. You could throw a diamond in your vice to dress the wheel perfectly true to the spindle.