Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 LastLast

Thread: Shop Truths, Phrases, Tales; and Outright Lies

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    I am stunned.

Imagine this.
    Some where, some how, some day, some one finds this entire thread and a little light pops on.
    "Who are these guys? Where are they now?"
    "They were right!"

By then, it will either be too late or have finally been set right.
    Never the less, the Al Gore Honorary Foundation will take credit.

And the crystal ball we've created worked again. I've been eliminated in precisely the same methodical (and manipulated) analysis of dollars & ROI Frank diagrammed above. Cost of Quality should be less than 2% of sales. When asked what percentage was acceptable for your sales staff that can't keep a shop busy...classic blank stare.

Priceless!

Press Room Supervisor and Operations Manager physically helped me load up; insisted I take their personal cell numbers, offered exemplary references, sincere Thank Yous and firm handshakes all round.

Meanwhile quality Manager (yes, intentional use of lower case and caps, aka dufus 2) stood by. His lame attempt to assist received a stern refusal and leave MY s_ _t alone. He did take notes on how to eradicate shadow of former Inspector...Extending his hand for the shake, I 'slicked back' my hair [where it used to be anyway] channeling W. Zevon, saying "Even a Dog can Shake Hands" (dufus 2 unaware of quote punctuation marks).

Priceless! Warren Buffett grade.
    Al Gore bronze metal...think I saw that once. It was a relief that looked something like this.

Shop Truths, Phrases, Tales; and Outright Lies-gore_gun_safety.jpg

Amen to your pertinent question about the sales staff! The answer may have been...But they itemized their golf expenses wooing clients which fits the bean counter criteria...question 2 is did they get the sale or just a tan and some drinks? [File: Shop Truths]

Nice touch with the slick back and Zevon...Priceless!

C-Bag touched on all this with Edwards Deming (circular reference #24) regarding statistics to include:

1. Appreciating a system (wow what a thought, eh?)
    2. Understanding variation
    3. Psychology (oh no)
    4. Epistemology (most important)

Unfortunately it has all been corrupted since with variations and more psychobabble than there are sticks to shake at it and reduced to number stacking to fit the criteria which is an [Outright Lie] in my book...becoming a CUBAR (Corrupted....). Where is Democritus now? He was Right!...but dead now 2300 years...{circular file, one of my hero's}

Frank; Cob is great stuff but I'm partial to Post and Beam. Luckily they can be mixed, and with old and new tech. Most people aren't aware that you can also sink 2 rods 30' into the ground to produce E...not much but it's free with scraps. Also not mentioned here is the advances in thermal mass storage systems...pretty cool new stuff.

C-Bag; Apologies for only giving you an honorable mention on the mycelium thing but found a couple of years ago now, the Dairy guys are using that and methane recovery systems around here...very impressive and pretty much DIY.

Paul; This is a cul-de-sac and all a circular reference (unconditional loop). Still diving on the 3D seismic reflection seismology stuff and do like the Tech of it...also solved the Dot Products mystery, Doh! A more precise term perhaps than Scalar products that I learned, forgot and barely used over the years. Also enthused about longitudinal wave theory.

Not sure whether to or do some diving but it's all a big candle to me...Truth, Tale, or Outright Lie? Probably should get something done. Happy Sunday!

~PJ

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

C-Bag (Sep 12, 2016), Toolmaker51 (Sep 11, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by PJs View Post
    Al Gore bronze metal...think I saw that once. It was a relief that looked something like this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gore_Gun_Safety.jpg 
Views:	346 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	13695 ~PJ
    He's perfectly safe. A projectile would only have hit him in the head.
    Then we'd be have been safer too!
    Later distinctive as "The candidate who couldn't win his own state, TN".
    Or his push on energy conservation from his not so humble domicile.

Politicians; an endless sort of entertainment, but like prescription medicine with some adverse side effects...

2000 Tool Plans
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

C-Bag (Sep 12, 2016), PJs (Sep 11, 2016)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Roger that TM! I love the TV ads for pharma...patiently waiting for the shoe to drop so I can run around the room thinking Yeah I need that and an M16 pointed at my head...all the while singing "Lawyers, guns and money"...another tribute to WZ.
    Last edited by PJs; Sep 11, 2016 at 03:41 PM.
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

C-Bag (Sep 12, 2016), Paul Jones (Sep 12, 2016), Toolmaker51 (Sep 11, 2016)

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools

Smile Off topic? According to who?

Excerpt, again. Not dilution, highlighting that
    Quote Originally Posted by PJs View Post
    ...all been corrupted since with variations and more psychobabble than there are sticks to shake at it ~PJs
    Forget the Bill of Rights, we're short on sticks!
    Shticks however, got them by the pound.

"Lawyers, guns and money" fits, I'm thinking "Mr. Bad Example", still ol' WZ.
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Sep 11, 2016 at 04:39 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

C-Bag (Sep 12, 2016), PJs (Sep 11, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    PJs, yes in today's world there are very good examples of the "The Circumlocution Office" as depicted in Charles Dickens's Little Dorrit.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paul Jones For This Useful Post:

C-Bag (Sep 12, 2016), PJs (Sep 11, 2016), Toolmaker51 (Sep 12, 2016)

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Frank S, in #75 stated "Now I believe this thread was about shop truths phrases and outright lies. Possibly it should have included experiences in the topic as well since many of us have shared several of our own real life experiences."

I guarantee, the current 5(?) participants, sitting in break room, or clustered around a favorite machine, the very same topical progression would occur. We accept each others as peers, with all kinds of related perceptions but wildly varied backgrounds.
    As the FNG when it started, never imagined such vertical and horizontal proliferation. The amazing part, since 04-23-2016 85 Replies: (&) 1,530 Views: Who is getting scared off? That's all Us?

Dear Al Gore;
    Thrilled you survived close range sniper. He'll never realize you had him in your sights. Thank you for the internet.
    We've harnessed perpetual creative verbal energy. What have you done lately?

Sincerely;
    Your Fiends and Pot-Shotters
    The Epicyclic Elliptic Think & Do Continuum. (EETaDTC)
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Sep 11, 2016 at 11:54 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Toolmaker 51 XXIII+ Cbag X V IV +PJs XVIII +Frank S XIV + Paul Jones X + Toolmaker Rob I. Yep that's 85 posts in 9 pages
    If nothing else this group is prolific in our ongoing adventure.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Sep 12, 2016), PJs (Sep 12, 2016), Toolmaker51 (Sep 12, 2016)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Well today the wife and I filled 2 4 ft by 4ft by 10 ft long tubs with an assortment of just about any and everything to haul to out new digs. When filled my aging 8000 lb forklift struggled to lift them and place them on the Step deck trailer (that I rebuilt last year). Yesterday we had loaded a pickup and 3 other small truck beds Still having about 12 ft of lower deck area I grabbed several side kit uprights and 2 8 by 5 ft sheets of used plate steel to make a side kit on the off side then we stacked not less then 20 used truck brake drums against that side then loaded several parts bin frames some jack stands some truck rims my heavy duty work horses 3 or 4 truck & RV fifth wheels a 6 ft hydraulic flail mower and more small but heavy things too numerous to list then top all of this off with a 18 inch high stack of roof and steel siding material 3 ft wide by 15 ft lengths, Tomorrow morning before my partners truck gets out of the shop (this is one time when we felt it was cheaper for us to have the front springs and the alignment done than me doing it due to lack of time and current state of facilities) I plan on possibly adding about 2000 ft of 1.94 diameter purling tubing
    Then finish loading my little Scrap built trailer.
    Its a good thing my backhoe is already at the new digs to unload this stuff with
    Last edited by Frank S; Sep 14, 2016 at 10:59 PM.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

C-Bag (Sep 15, 2016), Paul Jones (Sep 15, 2016), PJs (Sep 15, 2016), Toolmaker51 (Sep 15, 2016)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    latest calculations show that we have not less than 10 or possibly 12 more full loads for the step deck and the 50 ft flatbeds and at least that many more to be hauled on ither my little 10 ft trailer or the 20 footer. then there is the machine-shop trailer the parts and bolt storage trailer and the 30 box trailer with my completely dissembled to the last bolt 49 Chevy pickup and other things. Its going to be an adventure to get everything off property by the 10th of Oct.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

C-Bag (Sep 15, 2016), Paul Jones (Sep 15, 2016), PJs (Sep 15, 2016), Toolmaker51 (Sep 15, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    Is this the new digs that used to have the two colony's of A/Bees and where you used the special concoction that included Dr. Pepper to drive them out?

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Jones For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Sep 15, 2016)

Thread Information