Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sharpening metalworking workshop cutters, Videos

Thanks

Advanced grinding rest and a cautionary tale

Thanks Harold,

These videos are a great help. I for one appreciate the effort you have put in. I made one of these some years ago and find it useful. It may interest you to know that it was in my (detached) garage when I had a very destructive fire in there in 2010 and it endured the attentions of three fire crews with their hoses and chemicals, and then several weeks of summer rain until I could rescue it along with other treasured items.

I have since refurbished it and I still have it. It was not possible to return it to it's original condition but I rather like it as it is and prefer it's less than pristine condition as it reminds me of a very black day. I now have to make the jigs for milling cutter and drill grinding, By the way, I love your work and have several of your books and have used the advice and guidance in my projects.

Attachment 17051

Garage Fire
    (as viewed from neighbours garden)

Attachment 17052

Rest as originally made, test assembled,
    but before final finishing and polishing

Attachment 17053

Rescued from debris after fire - poor thing!

I will post a more recent photograph later.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TerryD15 For This Useful Post:

Home-PC (Jan 25, 2023), Paul Jones (Mar 22, 2017)

Thanks

Al8236's Tools
    Terry, You're attachments seem to be invalid , links don't go anywhere

2000 Tool Plans
    From the time you're born till' you ride in a hearse, there's nothing so bad it couldn't be worse!

Thanks
    Hi Al8236,

Those were not supposed to be links, the pictures were supposed to be embedded into the posting but I see that they aren't showing.

I followed the instructions in the video on how to attach photographs and they showed up in the preview window but obviously something has gone wrong. Here is another attempt

Sharpening metalworking workshop cutters, Videos-garage1_5131703938_o.jpg

Garage fire
    as viewed from neighbours garden

Sharpening metalworking workshop cutters, Videos-grinding-rest-original.jpg

Grinding rest test assembled
    before final finishing and polishing

Sharpening metalworking workshop cutters, Videos-grinding-rest-after-recovery-garage.jpg

Rest as rescued after a couple of weeks
    in the English summer rain!

Here goes, The preview shows all 3 photographs correctly positioned, fingers crossed.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TerryD15 For This Useful Post:

Home-PC (Jan 25, 2023)

Thanks
    It worked This time, I don't think that I did anything different but I'm glad that they are now showing. Gives me confidence for the future.

Best regards

Terry

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TerryD15 For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (May 16, 2022)

Thanks
    Hi,

If anyone is interested, I found my pictures of my grinding rest which I renovated following the fire and weather damage shown earlier. I post them to show what is possible with an apparently hopeless case. I disassembled the rest and removed the worst of the loose rust with wire brushes and emery cloth. The deep rust was removed from the parts with hydrochloric acid and then polished with fine emery. and protected with camelia oil The latter is good enough for Japanese sword makers so it's ok for me).

I had to make some new handles as the originals were lost when the Loctite I used to secure them failed in the fire and they were lost in the debris, only one survived the ordeal. I will have to make some new adjusting knobs as the fire and rust did for the knurling but the graduations just about survived.

Sharpening metalworking workshop cutters, Videos-dscn3216.jpg

Sharpening metalworking workshop cutters, Videos-dscn3219.jpg

Regards

Terry

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TerryD15 For This Useful Post:

Home-PC (Jan 25, 2023), Paul Jones (Mar 22, 2017)

Thanks

Al8236's Tools
    Well that certainly looks better than the last photo you posted, looks like a nice save!
    Al
    From the time you're born till' you ride in a hearse, there's nothing so bad it couldn't be worse!

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,792 Times in 11,326 Posts
    Congratulations Metaler, your Sharpening Metalworking Workshop Cutters video series is our Best Documented Build winner for March 2017!

Great comprehensive documentation in this 9-video series, plus many more on Metaler's website here: Harold Halls Videos, index .

Some other nicely-documented builds from March: a Keyway Cutting Method by Vyacheslav.Nevolya, a Damaged Thread Chamfering Tool by brianhw, a Large Radius Rolling Brake by KustomsbyKent, a Dual Fuel Melting Furnace by Carlos B, a 4 Bolt Compound Clamp by LMMasterMariner, a Limiting Resistor Selection Technique by rgsparber, an Annular Cutter Holder by bstanga, a Lathe Shear Tool by tonyfoale, and a Plaster Toolmaking Technique by tonyfoale.

Metaler - please confirm your email address via PM to me, and I'll get your $35 award sent out, via your choice of PayPal, Amazon, or bitcoin.

Congrats again!

Here are all of our previous monthly Best Documented Build winners:

Last edited by Jon; Oct 27, 2021 at 08:10 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Home-PC (Jan 25, 2023)

Thanks
    Terry
    Just read about the fire. It is something we will have to face at one time or other. My heart goes out to you and your loss. I pray for better day to at least catch up some. No more fires, it hurts too much.
    Nelson

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Mr. Hall, and all hmt.net; we are far luckier than subsequent generations, to be able not only appreciate but generate such tools. Way too many examples of them equating 'buying' with 'building'.
    Ain't no way it's the same, not even close.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Supporting Member Philip Davies's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 343 Posts

Philip Davies's Tools
    That’s a really comprehensive accessory and I can appreciate how much thought has gone into the design and cannot comprehend the number of operations to accomplish it. But “simple”? I have cheap bench grinders and the rests are very limited, and when the stone goes down to 6” diameter, they’re no good. So, with respect, Sharpening metalworking workshop cutters, Videos-image.jpg this has been my simple remedy (made from a bit of garden gate) I hope you find this amusing. I was very surprised, talking to the homeengineer how long his wheels last and concluded that cheap bench grinders have very friable wheels, but don’t know.

Thread Information