Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 31 of 41 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 LastLast

Thread: Took the first step towards building my shop

Thanks
    My grouch with codes beyond the lunacy of some of them is when industry can loby to have their super gadget required by code regardless of price asked. This is the pursuit of profit not safty. Money spent on training and teaching common scene would have much greater returns to society.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    DOWN:
    after sliding the beam in place there was little left to do but see if my hard work was going to pay off
    I started out rolling only a few feet at a time then checking everything
    Took the first step towards building my shop-20201017_150833twe.jpg
    GONE but not in 60 seconds LOL
    Took the first step towards building my shop-20201017_154414twe.jpg
    the best and probably the safest way to down work the cribbing that I've found is to set up a second set of cribbing inside for the jack. This allows the layers to be lowered in small stages and if something happens to slip there is only a few inches anything can fall I like to lower 3 inches at a time across a 12 ft span side to side
    Took the first step towards building my shop-20201017_163901twe.jpg

Took the first step towards building my shop-20201017_170901twe.jpg

Took the first step towards building my shop-20201017_170917twe.jpg
    then after lowering a section or 2 I can drop the rear by a couple sections or more at a time
    Took the first step towards building my shop-20201017_171124twe.jpg
    DOWN;
    Took the first step towards building my shop-20201017_173347twe.jpg
    I will probably have to use a cigarette paper to chink the gap before calking LOL
    Took the first step towards building my shop-20201017_175139twe.jpg
    Level enough until I have it on the concrete blocking pads
    Took the first step towards building my shop-20201017_175954twe.jpg
    Took the first step towards building my shop-20201017_180008twe.jpg
    Look the steel genie left me something
    Took the first step towards building my shop-20201017_181722twe.jpg

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    <snipped> install electro hydraulic equipment all over the USA and in many other countries as well Do you think that my being a registered and accepted contractor in my home state was sufeincent for many other places like LA county in CA or King county in WA or in the 5 dens of iniquity of NYC? plus many others? not on your life. In La county for instance not only did I have to have a contractor's permit with the state of California. no problem since I did work all over the state anyway. but I had to obtain at a minimum of a "B" electrician's license. OK you say that is nothing but a few tests and if you can pass a test in one state you can pass the test in another. This is not necessarily true even for a licensed practicing in your home state "EE" in some cases. and if you are not an "EE" there are several more hoops to jump through...
    Perfect example where oversight turns into overreach. I don't have trade licenses, but know many who do in several fields. Their reaction is the same. Regions that don't accept persons from elsewhere do a disservice regarding local taxpayers. How much better can their scrutiny be, compared to say, CA and NY? I suspect lesser entities feel inferior, especially with utilities. Does hiring out-of-area indicates inadequate local talent? We can guess who is pulling those strings......let's just say it ain't the puppets.
    News flash; water, electricity, sewage, natural gas follow physics, natural law and related phenomena the same everywhere. Even loos in Australia.

P.S. Such a thing as the "Steel Genie"??
    What goes under the pillow to get him/ her to show up dispensing gifts? Don't know lyricism well enough to mention order of C-channel, purlin, square tubing and bar grating, and mezzanine just sounds Arabic, but no, a Latin derivative.
    And don't tell me rub a brass lamp.....respectable Steel Genie can't really live in a nonferrous vessel.
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Oct 17, 2020 at 08:43 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

metric_taper (Oct 18, 2020)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    The steel genies reside in the slag cauldrons, they are almost impossible to contact and none that I know of ever looked like Barbra Eden . most looked like Jafar and sounded like Johnathan Freeman. If you are real brave you might conjure one up in the sulfur smoke of an open hearth forge but be warned they give a new name to malevolence. I wont attempt to repeat the lyrical chant to call one up as the wrong one might appear and take back any gifts left by previous steel genies. It is by far better not to question why, how, when, and absolutely not where, just accept the gifts if ever there are any

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Oct 20, 2020)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Now that the box van is down and leveled in place on concrete blocks I can back fil the low spot in the Southeast corner of the shop
    Took the first step towards building my shop-20201020_124410ewt.jpg
    Took the first step towards building my shop-20201020_134018ewt.jpg
    Last edited by Frank S; Oct 20, 2020 at 05:51 PM.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Looks like the perfect place to store a few thousand dollars worth of extruded aluminum
    Took the first step towards building my shop-20201020_175839alm.jpg

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Wednesday I started to move some dirt to fill in the low spot in the corner of the shop but before I could do that I had to remove the fork carriage and install the loader bucket. Sometimes this is a mere 30 to 45 minute job or even less but other times things just never seem to fall in place as they ordinarily would. Most of this is my fault for getting in a rush to do the change over or where I had decided to do it. This was one of those times I had moved the bucket with the forks and did not have it sitting level after removing the fork carriage then trying to align the loader arms with the pin locations it took the better part of an hour to get the change over accomplished then even more time to locate 2 of the snap rings in the sand and grass burs that had gone ballistic when I removed them.
    Anyway I moved a dozen of so loads of dirt to fill in a low spot to make it easier for me to enter the shop from an area I normally didn't go through then I mined a large pile of the select fill. Things were going fine running up and down the haul road a little too fast at times I guess because the backhoe was bouncing sometimes
    The used tire I had installed on the rear a few months ago was a lower pressure rating than the original and the rubber was old and probably well beyond an age for tubeless mounting. I entered the area where I had the fill mounded up at a wrong angle ran over a hard out cropping not sharp just a large bump that was when the dreaded hissing sound started grabbing a load of select fill I headed back up the hill to the shop and just barely made it to be able to dump before the tire went completely flat.
    OK I have a second tire I'll just install it I thought but I will tube it in an attempt to stave off rupturing the inner bladder of the next tire.
    So that night I ordered a new tube which was not going to arrive until next Tuesday. OK fine I will work on other projects then this time take the tire and rim to my tire man and let him wrestle the change.
    Well the tube arrived yesterday afternoon late So once again I decided not to wait until I could load everything up and take it to town. half the work of changing the tire would be removing the rim from the machine and re installing it anyway.
    But since I already had it off the backhoe laying on the ground and a new tube in hand and it being Saturday the tire guy wouldn't be at work until Monday I broke it down and started installing the equally old replacement tire.
    Took the first step towards building my shop-20201021_185123ewt.jpg
    Inspector Whitey wondering where her new favorite sleeping spot had gone
    Took the first step towards building my shop-20201021_185051ewt.jpg
    way too much 4 legged help
    Took the first step towards building my shop-20201024_183132tr.jpg

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    At least you're not dealing with fluid filled tires. That would make this much more fun. So the latest here (operating below freezing) is they use beet juice, as brine with a slow leak would eat the rim. I have such a failure waiting for me to find a new rim.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by metric_taper View Post
    At least you're not dealing with fluid filled tires. That would make this much more fun. So the latest here (operating below freezing) is they use beet juice, as brine with a slow leak would eat the rim. I have such a failure waiting for me to find a new rim.
    Really not a lot of reason to fluid filled tires on a backhoe tractive force is usually not the primary requirement. however I would almost be tempted to have my steer tires rubber foam filled on it because even though they are 14 ply and inflated to 60 lbs I've seen them mashed almost flat when lifting things I can only imagine the pressure inside them at that point.
    I have the front tires on my 8n tractor rubber foam filled because after I put the new tires on I had to repair both of them a dozen times in a week due to thorns Now I would like to rubber fill the rear tires but at $400.00 each to fill them that currently is way low on the budgetary scale.
    Filling them with rubber foam would be like filling them with 12lb per gallon fluid it would add a lot of useable tractive weight and never have a flat again I have a flat on the 1 new rear tire I put on is right now

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Tire back on the backhoe this morning so moved some more fill then since we are supposed to be getting some wet stuff in the form of nearly frozen I decided to head out to the woods and drag in a few dead ones that are really dry and old so if needed I can break them up into starter wood
    then I finally got around to finishing up the air system on a trailer I have been working on.
    Some of my 4 footed inspectors making sure I was doing it correctly
    Took the first step towards building my shop-20201024_183132tr.jpg

Took the first step towards building my shop-20201025_165137s.jpg

Took the first step towards building my shop-20201025_170432s.jpg

Took the first step towards building my shop-20201025_140424v.jpg

Took the first step towards building my shop-20201025_170608v.jpg

Took the first step towards building my shop-20201025_170634v.jpg

Took the first step towards building my shop-20201025_170655v.jpg

Took the first step towards building my shop-20201025_170701v.jpg

Thread Information