Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 23 of 41 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 LastLast

Thread: Took the first step towards building my shop

Thanks

Crusty's Tools
    I been in shops that didn't have lighting that good installed for normal use. It's surprising to me that two 100s are giving off that much light.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    If you can't make it precise make it adjustable.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
    I been in shops that didn't have lighting that good installed for normal use. It's surprising to me that two 100s are giving off that much light.
    2 100s put out 24000 lumins I think the work lights on the wrecker may have been on as well

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Update on the truck. Bob had called me and told me that his truck had suddenly lost power and started knocking, so I told him to put it on a hook because obviously running it was going to cause more damage.
    This morning I got a little better story about what had happened he as driving along and suddenly the truck started puffing white smoke then lost power running like it only had 5 cylinders then it made a few knocking sounds but not regular just once in a while he had to drive it about 3 miles to get to a safe place to park then called me. I said OK start it up because any damage done is already done anyway. as soon as it started up the cloud of white smoke filled the shop and that is hard to do in a shop that is basically just a roof with a couple of trailers and containers along the sides, but I didn't her any knocking;
    SO I began pulling the top end apart once I had torn in deep enough to get to the injector nozzles I started pulling the caps and nozzles out when I got to #5 I found half the tip was missing, so more parts needed to be removed to pull the head. No damage to the head or top of the piston a couple tiny nicks in the crown nothing to write home about though. and in the combustion cavity I found 5 or 6 small pieces of the tip ranging in size from a mustard seed to a bell pepper seed. I couldn't resist the size comparison detail, No wall damage to the liner so now if the parts get here early enough tomorrow maybe I'll have it running tomorrow night.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Size comparisons are handy as to relative size. Actual dimensions tougher, as we don't know whether scale is Brassica hirta or Brassica juncea varieties; choices are far wider in referring to bell peppers...
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    Size comparisons are handy as to relative size. Actual dimensions tougher, as we don't know whether scale is Brassica hirta or Brassica juncea varieties; choices are far wider in referring to bell peppers...
    I could have easily said compared to grains of blasting media ranging from gr#1 through gr #3
    A couple of the partials were small enough that a few more cycles bouncing around they could have been embedded in the crown of the piston or worse yet slipped between the piston and the cylinder wall the additional labor alone could have cost him more than the tow, and he knows how aggravated I get when someone knows something has gone wrong but elects to ignore it and try to keep going thinking they might save a buck or 2 when there are other options.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Aug 29, 2020)

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    If that's what two 100W lights do, maybe I DO have enough light in my wife's new kitchen. She likes it bright, I ordered three 18 W LED lights for that. 3.1 meter ceiling. She'll let me know when we get there.

Now, if they'd open the border so we COULD get there...

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    well all of the parts didn't arrive before noon Sunday and a couple didn't show up until Monday morning but the truck was running and gone by noon anyway
    Now if only the factory will pull their heads out of their umm, and send me the correct parts so I can get his Landoll sliding axle low boy out of the shop I could get started on the tri axle that has been a hanger queen since before the shop[ was here

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Well I now have 4 lights in my shop completely connected Eventually there will be 4 to 6 zones in the main shop area I probably won't have more than 500 wats per zone.
    Right now I have them divided into 2 zones
    Took the first step towards building my shop-wp_20200907_20_51_38_prolgt.jpg
    the switches on the left are for the inside of the container one switch will light it up enough to find stuff while #2 will make it daylight
    the 2 switches on the right are the first 2 zones in the main shop I ran 3/4EMT to each zone so I can add as many conductors as needed later
    Took the first step towards building my shop-wp_20200907_20_55_01_prolgt.jpg
    This is what a single 15 watt light does inside the container
    Took the first step towards building my shop-wp_20200907_20_55_18_prolgt.jpg

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    Frank; Where did you get your UFO high bay fixtures from?
    I see them on eBay, but don't know about quality, they seem to differ in heat sinks.
    I thought 3/4" conduit was big enough when I wired my garage in 1990, but back then I had TW insulated #12 wires, and pulling in 10 of them was a real workout. But I over wired it for 120 and 240 wall and ceiling outlets. I see the NEC allows 16 THHN #12 s. But I bet that's still a tight fit.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by metric_taper View Post
    Frank; Where did you get your UFO high bay fixtures from?
    I see them on eBay, but don't know about quality, they seem to differ in heat sinks.
    I thought 3/4" conduit was big enough when I wired my garage in 1990, but back then I had TW insulated #12 wires, and pulling in 10 of them was a real workout. But I over wired it for 120 and 240 wall and ceiling outlets. I see the NEC allows 16 THHN #12 s. But I bet that's still a tight fit.
    I got them off Ebay from a seller in Delaware the lights are obviously china made as are 90% of all these types of lights even big branded companies like Sylvania GE Osram have a huge percentage of their products made in the PRC
    I bought mine on an 80% discount sale which tells me they were either an overstock or an item which was soon to be discontinued.
    They may or may not last for a long time if they do, GREAT. if the don't , fine. I'll do like I have had to do with every other type of lighting I've used in the past. replace them.
    The light assemblies weighed a little over 4 lbs each or about the same as the domed high bay of the same size did but they have a higher quality offered in the UFO style that weighs 9 lbs each with double the amount of heat sink These would be the ones I will probably be purchasing as I add more lights to the shop. I only bought these first 4 because I wanted to get some lighting up without breaking into my piggy bank at this time.

Thread Information