Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

Thread: Took the first step towards building my shop

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I now have doors all the way round the shop so I can close it up to the worst of the wind.
    the latest door is 17 ft by 17 ft to complete the 48 ft wide opening
    Took the first step towards building my shop-img_20230101_135246d.jpg
    Took the first step towards building my shop-img_20221221_181640ddd.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Jan 5, 2023), Toolmaker51 (Jan 4, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Link opened with Day 1, a bare frame with a scant roof, 29 Nov 2018. [I]Everyone who knows me are probably familiar with my work shop or lack there of conditions.[/]

Who can say this isn't extraordinary accomplishment; occurring along with large quantity of tools, some connected to the construction, some not, and outside work taken on!

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Jan 4, 2023 at 11:57 AM.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Jan 4, 2023), mwmkravchenko (Jan 5, 2023)

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    I enjoyed his build. Frank is so lucky to live in a FREE country, that does not have building authorities inhibiting his quality constructions as his methods are not in the International Building Code manual.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by metric_taper View Post
    I enjoyed his build. Frank is so lucky to live in a FREE country, that does not have building authorities inhibiting his quality constructions as his methods are not in the International Building Code manual.
    One thing with the west doors being so huge and constructed of relatively lightweight materials as compared to most door of this size they are meant to have flex in high winds. Just like a sail sheet on a boat stretches in the wind but will remain effective. The other day my neighbor brought something over for me to machine for him he drove his truck inside and since the wind was blowing pretty good I closed the doors and secured them. Not long afterwards while he and I were standing in the shop talking there were a few huge wind gusts. Billy asked is my truck safe inside here with that door flexing like it does.
    Sure I said part of the reason of the Latice design in the pipe work is to allow the door to bow in the wind but not fail We later learned that there had been a few 50+ MPH gusts directly out of the west Had the door not been secured it may have been some of a problem but a ridged door of that size would have been a problem if left unsecured as well. I have opened and closed the door in 30 MPH winds without problems

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

metric_taper (Jan 5, 2023), mwmkravchenko (Jan 5, 2023), Toolmaker51 (Jan 5, 2023)

Supporting Member mwmkravchenko's Avatar
    Thanks
    Looking great Frank. You bring in full rigs I am guessing with that height. I know you have the length to do that. Although a tractor and trailer might not fit. I can't remember the other shop dimension.

You can get away with a lot different construction versus up here. You have to account for show load here to. Makes roofs a little more beefy. And frost. You have to sink supports deeper, about 5 feet for southern Ontario. Oh and heat! It gets cold here in the winter, although up till now we have had relatively warm weather above 32 up until today. High in the mid 40's.

You have a great shop. Basically a pole barn. A well made pole barn at that.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mwmkravchenko View Post
    Looking great Frank. You bring in full rigs I am guessing with that height. I know you have the length to do that. Although a tractor and trailer might not fit. I can't remember the other shop dimension.

You can get away with a lot different construction versus up here. You have to account for show load here to. Makes roofs a little more beefy. And frost. You have to sink supports deeper, about 5 feet for southern Ontario. Oh and heat! It gets cold here in the winter, although up till now we have had relatively warm weather above 32 up until today. High in the mid 40's.

You have a great shop. Basically a pole barn. A well made pole barn at that.
    Yep it is a pole barn alright, the steel poles are buried in the ground to about 6 to 8 feet average all of them have at least 1 truck rim welded to their bottoms

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Frank S; Jan 5, 2023 at 03:50 PM.

Thread Information