Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Treadmill motors - my modifications.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,627 Times in 705 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by jdurand View Post
    I should also mention that the high power magnets are under a LOT of internal stress and can shatter with quite a force. I machined up a metric krap load of magnet brackets for another customer* who's been doing some sort of power experiments. He reported that something came loose and the resulting multiple magnet crash shattered some of them and pieces dented cabinets and such but all missed him.
    The rare earth magnets are also susceptible to corrosion and are usually plated for protection. If the sealing is penetrated then the magnet will just crumble away.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tonyfoale For This Useful Post:

freddo4 (Jan 29, 2021), old_toolmaker (Jan 29, 2021)

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,618 Times in 11,284 Posts
    Congratulations tonyfoale - your Treadmill Motor Modifications are the Homemade Tool of the Week!

A huge week around here, but still a clear winner. These modifications (and the broader point that treadmill motors are "built down to a price, not up to a standard") will see a lot of use in this community for future tool builds.

Some good picks from this week:

Adjustable Vise Stop by machining 4 all
    Keg Slide by IntheGroove
    Mini Scissors Lift by machining 4 all
    Press Modifications by tmate3
    Tape Measure Helper by orioncons36
    Bobcat Snowblower Attachment by IntheGroove
    TIG Welding Aid by Tuomas
    Handgun Rest by tmate3
    Track Cutter by tmate3
    Anvil Hardy Bridge by Philip Davies
    Pantograph by tmate3
    Mini Lathe Variable Speed Feed Control by tmate3
    Benchtop Press by fotojack
    Router Table Fence by winkys workshop
    Hand Drill Depth Stop by orioncons36
    Shop Crane by tmate3
    Milling Machine Chip and Coolant Guard by bouboulas
    Welding Hammer by orioncons36
    Drill Guide by RCTURKA
    Drill Press Alignment Hack by tmate3
    Adjustable Arm Phone Holder by morsa

tonyfoale - we've added your tool entry to our All Homemade Tool of the Week winners post. And, you'll be receiving a $25 online gift card, in your choice of Amazon, PayPal, or bitcoin. Please PM me your current email address and gift card choice and I'll get it sent over right away.

This is your 11th Homemade Tool of the Week win! Here are all of your winning tools:

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by Jon; Jan 29, 2021 at 03:09 PM.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

old kodger's Tools
    tony,
    You're clearly a very clever possum, but one thing concerns me about the tread mill motor mods,....What does it do for cooling now that you've closed all it's windows?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,627 Times in 705 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by old kodger View Post
    tony,
    You're clearly a very clever possum, but one thing concerns me about the tread mill motor mods,....What does it do for cooling now that you've closed all it's windows?
    This is discussed near the end of the video, and also in some previous comments. Closing it is only suitable for low load and low duty cycle applications like my T&C grinder.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

wizard69's Tools
    Interesting post. It isn’t uncommon in industry to take a standard motor and replace the shaft (easy on an induction motor), this idea goes a bit further. Hopefully it will inspire people to come up with their own solutions.

On the issue of a magnet demagnitizing due to heat, that was a huge concern early in my career. Magnets hAve come a long way in the last four decades. If you are concerned it is best to reference the manufactures data for the motor in question. This especially if you are salvaging a high performance motor out of mystery machinery. The simple reality is that there are more advance magnets available these days with higher temp characteristics.

One more thing, somebody mentioned above the dangers associated with installing the rotor in a permanent magnet stator. Yes it is hazardous and even a very small motor can bite badly. Take care! Not only do you risk finger or worse damage, those magnets can easily damage the rotor windings.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by wizard69; Feb 1, 2021 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Auto core auto wrong

Thread Information