Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 41 of 294 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 91 141 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage work crew photos

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by marksbug View Post
    HMT??hit and miss technology?..... we too had that old polished drill....worked awesome and lasted long tyme. nowdays if you buy a corded drill it might lasy 7 months before the bushings are dead or the motor burns up. Imho the best to buy is a good batter operated drill like ryobie or ridged, they seem to work pretty good. but the issue is the batterys in most cases. a lot of sellout companys(B&D& many more) change the battery shapes so you will need to buy a new drill when the crap battery dies,ebay has a great selection of different batterys. I have a 2002 ryobie drill,saw,sawzall,flashlight vacume cleaner set ( neibor threw it all away, it looks like new)that had 5 batterys 2 still hold charge,and 2 battery chargers. well I got on flebay and did some research and found that they still use that battery!!! but even better is it is now avalible in lithium!!!! at 3x the power range!!! for about $30 vs $50 for a **** battery that wont last. but the lithum batterys take a different charger... well apparently when the battery started dieing the neibor bought a new charger.... he got the universal charger!!! it charges all the ryobi batterys!!!! ryobi is possiably the best out there now days.Ive never seen a wore out ryobi. B&D & dewalt are the same company and pure ****. I do have a few D&D 18 volt drills I got on 75% off clearance from after christmass 3 years ago. they are possiably the best B&D I have ever had and they have the lithium batterys. other than that get the cheepest harbor fright stuff and throw it away when it dies.it will usulay last as long as the name brand corded stuff does at 1/2 the price.... speaking of dewalt....I have a real nice 12 or 14"compound miter saw that has a bad bushing for the last 10 years it's been in the shed.( it's about 12 years old) I decided to take it appart and make a bush for it( the bush has been obseleite for over 8 years and size shape was changed due to it was ****) I grabed it up and... the plastic main housing just crumbled in my hands....... way to go dewalt!!!!! well atleast I have a real nice degreed rotating thingys to mount somethen else on...hmm I could make a sun dial!!!!! on another note... the may tag repair man just left the house....he did not work on squat... he just told us that the $700 washer has 1 seeting that washes.and about 12 that dont. and 1 that might...... well at least he seems to be honest. as for maytag.... they need to stop makeing tv adds and make something that works...atleast half way works. yall have a great day!!!
    Unlike washers, I think that tools are still "get what you pay for". OK around '90 I bought a Metabo 9.6v drill/driver($600) to assist my Hitachi D10D(japan)($500) as the hitachi took hours to charge. When the metabo (lasted longer than the hitachi) went flat, i'd throw on charger & make a coffee from my flask & before finished coffee the batt was charged =10 min charge. It did me for over 20 years building fences, retaining walls, renos, etc. All that was wrong was the batt so bought an aftermarket one for about $60 = did not charge properly. bought a genuine metabo & presto the $100 was worth it. Chuck went so bought a new one but couldn't remove old one (metabo used to epoxy them in). cut off most of chuck to get access but couldn't budge the oldie. Gave it to mens shed who used oxy & now still use it.
    Needing a newie & couldn't afford a Makita with Li Ion so bought a Rockwell. Heap of junk ($100 wasted). If not use for a few days it was like a Ni Cad that hadn't been used for months. Next step looked at Panasonic but way too dear for chinese made so bought Milwaukee Fuel brushless set(chinese made also) of drill/driver + impact driver + grinder & 2 by 4amp batts which cost me about 600 (about the same price as the Panasonic drill/driver). after 4 years had to replace one batt ($115) & since sold my stihl back blower & bought a Milwaukee ($300)blower.They do take a couple of hrs to charge but I can now buy 5, 6, 8, 12 & 18 amp batts if I fall short but the 2 by 4amp is sufficiant for me now but a bigger one is tempting as the blower chews power but I only use it once a week. The 5 amp is coming down in price & now about $135.

Most Li Ion batts, I've read, have a life span of around 3 years whether using or not but I got 4 years from first one & other is still strong.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by PJs View Post
    Paul,

I remember the Blue Chip Stamps and S&H too. They were a big thing around our house too and had some real value compared to coupons today. I too still have Dads "Egg-Beater" drill an older Brace n' Bit and his first Craftsman 1/4" electric (mid-late 50's), the polished cast aluminum one. He was pretty proud of that and we used it for years (decades). It started giving a little zort thru the case about 30 years ago and took the chuck off it for use on a hand chuck with a broom handle...but couldn't toss it. Thought one day I'd take it apart and restore it with a grounded plug and change the bushing and brushes if I can find them, but never have. Yet still smile every time I see it and remember some of the many, many things we built or repaired with it.

Absolutely true about not needing fancy or top of the line tools all the time to get things done or even build tools to do the job...Hence HMT and what it represents that way.

PJ
    I've done another post here, but suffice it to say, I'm with you on that as I still have B&D corded tools with sleeves/bushes & not bearings from the sixties & early 70's . I still use them ocasionally. I use my Makita corded gear more often and was gobsmacked when I was able to get parts for my D handled 1974(approx) router after a jo blake knocked it of a high shelf. Thing is that many non bearing tools did not survive as folk would push & lean on them hard instead of allowing the drill bit or saw blade or sandpaper do its job & they usually wrecked those bushes when the machine/motor was otherwise still in good order. I still see tradies & diy'ers push their tools in the sake of speed not realizing the reverse is true. Drill bits broken/burnt/ blunted: saw blades burnt/buckled from heat, sand paper worn irregularly, jig saw blades broken or teeth worn off, etc. I had one guy tell me that he kept used sand paper to use as a finer grit when it was worn down. Logic?LOL

2000 Tool Plans

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ranald For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jan 10, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    I too investigated replacing depleted rechargeable batteries. As PJs notes, the electronics suppliers warehouse many individual cells. Selection boils down to voltage, physical size and quantity. Commercially, the bonding conductor strips are spot welded. I should think deft-handed soldering or conductive [particle silver] adhesives can do nearly as well. I have a pair of bat-handle screwdrivers wanting for such a rescue.
    You also might check fleabay, and craigslist for persons offering that service "portable tool battery rebuilding". Googling related phrases generates plenty of hits too.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jan 10, 2019)

Thanks
    Ranald,
    Yup I to have found the Milwaukee disappoints me the least. I use impact 1/4 inch drivers most every day so they are the bench mark for me. Was a little disappointed that the first fuel didn't last longer but still better than the dewalt it replaced. I see dewalt to be a bit more focused on innovation rather than quality, back up innovation with adequate quality and will Usualy result in an industry leader. Wish more compaies were more focused on quality rather than the bottom line and golden parachutes, the bottom line would likely fallow the quality.
    Eric

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Those I know using cordless like Milwaukee more than other brands. In my frame of mind, that name in red [reputation] means more to the company than any of the other brands, including yellow one.
    I happen to use Porter-Cable; satisfied thus far. Biggest test was 4, 17/32" holes in 5/8" HRS weld table [mount a vise]. I center drilled, pilot drilled, then to size. Used 2 and part of a third 2ah batteries from ~80% charge. Has unique thermal shutdown feature; got too hot to hold! Other work hasn't been so heavy.

Far as how batteries have changed is a little different than the printer ink scheme. Battery performance [volts & ah] has steadily increased.
    I'm positive ink doesn't give a rat's ass about container shape. And when's last time you saw cartridge size increase?
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Jan 9, 2019 at 06:51 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jan 10, 2019)

Thanks
    I have had zero problems with the Craftsman (not the new B&D/Stanley ones) 19.2 set except for the one Li-Ion and the nicads petering out. You have to be careful with those old aluminum-cased electric drills. They can short to the case and if you are on damp ground (e.g. on your knees) they will shock hell out of you. Have been there and done that, and couldn't let go of the darned thing. Finally was able to throw it across the floor.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to VinnieL For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jan 10, 2019)

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by VinnieL View Post
    I have had zero problems with the Craftsman (not the new B&D/Stanley ones) 19.2 set except for the one Li-Ion and the nicads petering out. You have to be careful with those old aluminum-cased electric drills. They can short to the case and if you are on damp ground (e.g. on your knees) they will shock hell out of you. Have been there and done that, and couldn't let go of the darned thing. Finally was able to throw it across the floor.
    My old metal cased corded B&D's Had earth cable so no worry there. However My diamond wet cutter Makita underwent many govt reg contstraints & deletions due to many different brands killing idiots that would chase out bricks, concrete & blocks etc with the motor side down & getting water inside: motor up top & no probs. I've had mine since 1986 without incident or stupidity.Such saws were earthed but not designed for unsafe use. There is a rubber motor cover to dispell water splashes but not a full on stream.
    I did have a dry saw cable flick over & severed by a blade without even tripping 2 safety devices : very clean cut. Looked over from above!
    cheers
    Ranald

Thanks
    [QUOTE=marksbug;125158]HMT??hit and miss technology?.....

Loved your post! Spot on! Battery life and over-all construction of most power tools has been a thorn for many years. I do like my Ryobi's however. You have a great day too, my friend! And keep up the posts! Great material!

Jim

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    Those I know using cordless like Milwaukee more than other brands. In my frame of mind, that name in red [reputation] means more to the company than any of the other brands, including yellow one.
    I happen to use Porter-Cable; satisfied thus far. Biggest test was 4, 17/32" holes in 5/8" HRS weld table [mount a vise]. I center drilled, pilot drilled, then to size. Used 2 and part of a third 2ah batteries from ~80% charge. Has unique thermal shutdown feature; got too hot to hold! Other work hasn't been so heavy.

Far as how batteries have changed is a little different than the printer ink scheme. Battery performance [volts & ah] has steadily increased.
    I'm positive ink doesn't give a rat's ass about container shape. And when's last time you saw cartridge size increase?
    Semi True. Epson has made a few Large cartridge All-in-ones in the last few years and did last much longer for about the same price per but they quit making them again. Probably not making their quota. Basically you can buy a new printer with cartridges for the price of 2 sets of refills. Ideally you toss or salvage your old one and buy a new one on the third round...Really¿ There are aftermarket hang on the outside systems that work semi well with large bottles (CMYK), but don't do it till the warranty is up...otherwise void. I only do Epsons...bad early experiences with other brands. Part of the issue with costs is thanks to the Hazmat designations...and yet the big box stores recycle cartridges...of which I have had some issues with OEM quality QA in the recent past (sold as new) which appear to be recycled cartridges that the printer won't recognize.

Batteries have and are evolving rapidly (almost exponentially) over the last decade or so with prolific increases in potential, charge rates, recovery, size and Safety. I ran across a special awhile back where a guy had made the membranes literally bullet proof. Personally, I can't wait for the Tesla plant to really start cranking them out and get some real economy of scale and Hopefully put a stop to this Printer Ink Scheme. The great thing about Li-ion and LiPo's are the flexibility in shape and capacity. The only reason for the 18650 is we go back 40+ years with the profusion of AA dry cells and there evolution to Li-ion, and they are actually used in massive quantities in E-vehicles where quite a number of them can die and still be part of the larger series/parallel group that still works.

Your bat wing screwdrivers (Milwaukee?) are doable I think...check YT.

I'm thinking there is some Drift from the Vintage Work Crew Photos topic but really glad to see 41 pages of great stuff!

PJ
    Last edited by PJs; Jan 10, 2019 at 12:02 PM.
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,621 Times in 11,284 Posts
    Chassis Assembly Dept., American LaFrance Co9,s, Elmira NY - 1918
    Fullsize image: https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/h...y_fullsize.jpg

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

baja (Jan 10, 2019), PJs (Jan 11, 2019), ranald (Jan 10, 2019), Seedtick (Jan 10, 2019), Toolmaker51 (Jan 10, 2019)

Thread Information