Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 29 of 294 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 79 129 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage work crew photos

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,618 Times in 11,284 Posts
    Hoisting a 46 ton girder into place during construction of the Consolidated Gas Company building, 15th Street and Irving Place, New York, August 4, 1913
    Fullsize image: https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/h...w_fullsize.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

baja (Nov 29, 2018), Seedtick (Nov 28, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Nov 28, 2018)

Thanks

Beserkleyboy's Tools
    Volodar, good onya! I only ever found out about the self feeders when I spied this fellow at the Cockatoo Island Auctions...and people wonder why anyone 'still' uses pencils...Philistines...
    Jim

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Beserkleyboy For This Useful Post:

volodar (Nov 28, 2018)

Supporting Member threesixesinarow's Avatar
    Thanks

threesixesinarow's Tools
    Search Results: "LOT 2011" - Prints & Photographs Online Catalog (Library of Congress)

The photos from Gulbransen reminded me of pictures in George Dodd’s “Days at the Factories” from a hundred years earlier.

Vintage work crew photos-adayat1.jpg

https://books.google.com/books/about...d=udkDAAAAQAAJ

Many interesting engravings and descriptions.

Julien Turgan published a similar series of articles, “les grands Usines” about 20 years later, CNUM - 4KY15 : Les grandes usines

6. The Following User Says Thank You to threesixesinarow For This Useful Post:

PJs (Nov 28, 2018)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post
    Boy did you hit upon one important issue, the state of CAD drawing. I think part of this is due to the loss of drafting as a profession, a lot of companies require their engineers to generate all drawings from details on up. Of course none of these engineers have had extensive training in generating engineering drawings, nor do they have the time to care. Also there is an an assumption that high quality color is available every where and further they assume a drawing will never be ran through a photo copier. I've seen electrical drawings that really suffered from poor drawing practices and then people wonder why the machine doesn't work right.
    Wizard69: Given that I grew up years ago and the high school I attended still offered mechanical drawing classes. There is certainly a reward from taking a pencil to paper that you can't get from CAD drawings. While the company has gone completely digital with tool design I still like having the ability to quickly and sometimes crudely sketch out ideas.
    Toolmaker51: Drafting has really gone down hill, CAD users have no clue how line weight enhances readability. Big deal, the program reads it accurately. Programs don't crank handles. So colored ink stands in, when a lot of leader lines intersect without a break, to match coordinates.
    All good points about drafting whether CAD or board drafting...Engineering standards Are and Have been (ASME Y14/ANSI Y14) since 1973 IIRC and updated regularly. CAD has been added as well as Geometric tolerancing and many others modules since. I don't agree that Engineering curriculum's don't teach it anymore but somewhat agree that they don't necessarily have time to do the true standard practices and that is a management issue.

CAD has added a lot to engineering since it's inception in 83' by Autodesk and was based on ASME/ANSI standards within the program itself...but it's main feature was it was vector based allowing for accuracy beyond any scale and pencil at 16 decimal places. Secondarily the ease of editing made it just a matter of drawing a few lines then edit, edit, edit to create any shape or objects. It's early versions went through some issues with line weights and particularly leader lines and extension lines not being properly placed but it's much better now and even allows for European standards. Another excellent use of modern CAD is proto-development and interference testing Prior to release...and the all powerful OZ of Parametric modeling.

The problems arise with printing or plotting to those resolutions and forget about copy machines as they print/scale unevenly in X & Y. Vectors to Pixels with electro/mechanical's thrown is an interpolation at best. As for color prints, I see no need and think it is sometimes a hindrance except for possibly electrical drawings (part of the IEC/IEEE standards), assembly drawings, or ISO's/3D renderings. Line weights should Only be used to make a point (per Standards). Prints should only be worked from and not used as templates, ever. With CAD and Cam we have the opportunity to transfer file/vector data directly and now with 3D printing - directly to manufacture. Pretty darn cool to me.

The real issue is that most companies start on napkin or tablet/pencil sketches, may move to board drafting, but today directly to CAD. They hire newbee Engineers/drafters/cad people (Cheap) run them hard and put them away wet, having little regard for document control within the company, at least in the early years...if they live through them. Truth is, my experience with Good machinist's/fabricators I've worked with, is a napkin sketch and a 20min conversation will almost always return a perfect part and sometimes better than I wanted, unless it's very complex or multiple specific tolerances.

My particular pet peeve is with companies supplying CAD drawings for their products...even McMaster has a good library, but typically the drawings themselves are a mess with mismatched dimensions to the actual line dimensions and a lot of times what I call dirty lines (when I was teaching ACAD), that is multiple lines over the top of one another and not joined at the ends or corners...drives me nuttier than I already am. I could have drawn the component faster than cleaning up their mess sometimes. So much for Libraries. ACAD has really worked on this and 360 is pretty impressive library wise. Solid Works also but my experience is limited with it. I've built thousands over the years as accurately (4 decimal) as I can...it's One more great value that CAD adds to the engineer/designers tool box...as long as they are to Standards!

Guess I spewed again, eh?

PJ
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Nov 28, 2018), volodar (Nov 28, 2018)

Thanks

Ralphxyz's Tools
    What a great/interesting photo back then apparently needing a replacement piston was a common occurrence.

There are so many items of interest if you really scan the photo, a lot seems familiar as my "shop" memory goes back about 65 years.

Ralph

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ralphxyz For This Useful Post:

PJs (Nov 29, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    IregardlineweightanimportantfeatureofworkingdrawingsOtherwiseitsnothingbutj umbledinformationobscuringobjectdesiredEquallyimportantarecarefullydistribu tedleaderlinesconnectingdimensionswithrespectiveelementsIshallpostanothorri bledrawingthatstillneedshighlightingtoaidcalculatingtooloffsetsformillingpo cketsofanextrusiondieDesignerlaughedwhenhesawmyinhancementquestioningwhyIre pliedbecauseitlookslikeapoorlydoneLosAngelesstreetmapSketchorlegitimatedraw ingifyouworkonyourowntheissueisreducedRatherlikedifferencebetweencleardirec tionsandinterpretedforeignversions
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    IregardlineweightanimportantfeatureofworkingdrawingsOtherwiseitsnothingbutj umbledinformationobscuringobjectdesiredEquallyimportantarecarefullydistribu tedleaderlinesconnectingdimensionswithrespectiveelementsIshallpostanothorri bledrawingthatstillneedshighlightingtoaidcalculatingtooloffsetsformillingpo cketsofanextrusiondieDesignerlaughedwhenhesawmyinhancementquestioningwhyIre pliedbecauseitlookslikeapoorlydoneLosAngelesstreetmapSketchorlegitimatedraw ingifyouworkonyourowntheissueisreducedRatherlikedifferencebetweencleardirec tionsandinterpretedforeignversions
    Translation
    I regard line weight an important feature of working drawings Otherwise its nothing but jumbled information obscuring object desired Equally important are carefully distributed leader lines connecting dimensions with respective elements I shall post another rib le drawing that still needs highlighting to aid calculating tool off sets for milling pockets of an extrusion die Designer laughed when he saw my enhancement questioning why I re plied because it looks like a poorly done Los Angeles street map Sketch or legitimate drawing if you work on your own the issue is reduced Rather like difference between clear directions and interpreted foreign versions

I have found many drawings which were exactly like your post But I believe you intentionally did it like that to prove a point
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

PJs (Nov 29, 2018)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    Toolmaker 51, did you do this on purpose? Or, were you touch typing with a failed spacebar microswitch? Actually, the text is - readable even with the odd typo or dropout. Germans, however, do concatenate words. Don't know if there's a length limit. First came across this in a book at age 12 or so, mostly pictures but in German. I'd done grades one and two in Innsbruck, after fleeing from the Ukraine, and was now in late elementary in Buenos Aires. The word that surprised me in the German quasi science coffee table book was "Raketenantriebenflugzeug", literally "rocket propelled flying thing". No problem, I knew all the parts. In English things happen in the opposite direction. My wife's convertible is sometimes referred to as a "vert". A certain Chrysler muscle car was a "cuda". On the odd IT help forum I cringe when I see "puter". I attribute this to what I think of as "sloppy American speech" but must admit I've seen Canadian students do this as well.
    Last edited by volodar; Nov 28, 2018 at 08:21 PM. Reason: word transposition

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Translation
    I regard line weight an important feature of working drawings Otherwise its nothing but jumbled information obscuring object desired Equally important are carefully distributed leader lines connecting dimensions with respective elements I shall post another rib le drawing that still needs highlighting to aid calculating tool off sets for milling pockets of an extrusion die Designer laughed when he saw my enhancement questioning why I re plied because it looks like a poorly done Los Angeles street map Sketch or legitimate drawing if you work on your own the issue is reduced Rather like difference between clear directions and interpreted foreign versions

I have found many drawings which were exactly like your post But I believe you intentionally did it like that to prove a point
    I've not been diagnosed with dyslexia, but obvious traces of it or another perceptive hitch in me, along with astigmatism. It's OK, I can still read verniers better than most.
    No surprise, I would have bet Frank S be first to make the example readable. He has touches of related impairments too.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by volodar View Post
    Toolmaker 51, did you do this on purpose? Or were you touch typing with a failed spacebar microswitch? Actually, the text is surprisingly readable even with the odd typo or dropout. But then, Germans concatenate words all the time. Don't know if there's a length limit to it. First came across it in a book at age 12 or so, mostly pictures but in German. I'd done grades one and two in Innsbruck, after fleeing from the Ukraine, was now in late elementary in Buenos Aires. The word that surprised me in the German quasi science coffee table book was "Raketenantriebenflugzeug" , literally "rocket propelled flying thing". No problem, I knew all the parts. In English it's the opposite. My wife's convertible is sometimes referred to as a "vert". A certain Chrysler muscle car was a "cuda". And, on the odd IT help forum I see "puter".
    Intentional, and I mean to post drawing referenced.
    Vintage work crew photos-layout.jpg
    The goofy text is a different impasse of ready understanding. But, a yummy lol: I had intermittent space-bar problem too. Air duster repair job, versus nice pizza crust and crushed peppers.
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Nov 29, 2018 at 04:12 AM. Reason: illustration
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

PJs (Nov 29, 2018), volodar (Nov 28, 2018)

Thread Information