Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 8 of 41 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast

Thread: Took the first step towards building my shop

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I drug out an old deer hunter's stand that I picked up a while back for the angle iron then cut it apart.
    The 3x3 angle iron is now the perimeter for the floor of the anti room This gives me a ledge to sit the sheet metal on later when I get ready to add rebar for the floor I will weld that to the angle iron to tie everything together,
    Took the first step towards building my shop-wp_20191201_10_41_08_richmn.jpg

Took the first step towards building my shop-wp_20191201_11_01_13_richmn.jpg

Took the first step towards building my shop-wp_20191201_12_45_51_richmn.jpg

Took the first step towards building my shop-wp_20191201_15_41_05_richmn.jpg

Took the first step towards building my shop-wp_20191201_15_41_23_richmn.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Frank S; Dec 1, 2019 at 07:38 PM.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    Hows the cross bracing task? Hope the weather is holding during this fall.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by metric_taper View Post
    Hows the cross bracing task? Hope the weather is holding during this fall.
    Just picking my battles one at a time.
    Will be ordering all of the rest of the roof purlin tomorrow or the next day then to look at cash flow again LOL

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Time to stop playing around building trick gadgets to assist me in building the shop and get started flying the materials to the top
    I loaded the gin pole hoist with my spreader bar and 10 of the 6" 30 ft long purlins then drove to where I wanted to stage them for lifting
    Took the first step towards building my shop-wp_20191222_13_45_41_richok.jpg
    Once I was where I wanted to be I decided to only lift 3 purlins up to get started I didn't want to have to try and fight all 10 of them while needing to position the first 1 in place also even though I know the hoist will lift all 10 of them going that high and having to boom out with that much weight just didn't make any sense to me from a safety stand point While having to try and control any rotational drift from the ground to I sent up the first 3
    Took the first step towards building my shop-wp_20191222_14_25_01_richok.jpg
    3 down er I mean up many to go
    Took the first step towards building my shop-wp_20191222_16_49_29_richok.jpg

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    I flew the remaining purlin up to stage them for installing late yesterday afternoon.
    Today was mostly a windy day but did manage to get 2 more welded in place during lulls in the wind. My fire Marshal wife stood fire guard and every time a single spark hit the ground she made sure it did not ignite the dry grass in the yard I keep telling her that if I would set the grass on fire and let it burn then she wouldn't have to worry about a fire taking off besides that it would reduce the number of grass burs next year as well But hse won't hear of it LOL.
    So I went to the woods and cut fire wood
    Took the first step towards building my shop-wp_20191224_15_18_20_richsaw.jpg
    the gin pole crane works swimmingly

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

KustomsbyKent (Dec 26, 2019)

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    Every part you assemble, has to be a good feeling towards a roof that sheds weather.
    Looks like the slope is low enough that the stacked perlins are not sliding.

My garage has a 6/12 slope to the west and 4/12 to the east. Everything slides on 6/12. And it was damaging to my feet installing the asphalt roofing, as it was right at an angle where blood flow was inhibited to the toes. Squatting on a 26 degree roof. That was 22 years ago, and I still have nerve damage. It was a pain, as the hammer would slide, as well shingle bundles. The killer was 5 roof windows, that required step flashing, so an enormous amount of time was spent squatting to cut the shingle, then place the flashing. And this before I owned a pneumatic coil nailer. Worse is those windows don't let enough light in for the attic room, and all I worry about now is a hail storm taking them out.

Should be interesting seeing the insulation install, I assume that takes up the perlin height.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    More is the reason why the closeness to a true 4 ft spacing was important to me. the insulation I have was my kind of acquisition FREE the panels are varied in thickness so I might wind up needing to stack as many as 3 together but many are nearly 4 inches thick which will wedge into the "C" of the first purlin and tight to the back side of the next. Most panels are 4 ft by 8 ft in size but there are a few pallets of 4 ft by 4 ft
    here is a picture of the panels they are closed cell (polyisocyanurate or rigid polyiso foam (PIR)) self extinguishing sandwiched of the same type and quality of that used to make cold room storage facilities with a very high R value per inch of thickness
    I will wedge them into the purlin then screw retaining strips below so they cannot fall out
    Took the first step towards building my shop-20180829_073916.jpgaaa.jpg

Took the first step towards building my shop-20180829_074403.jpgaaa.jpg
    Not that I would trust doing it but a 4 inch thick panel supported on both sides is rigid enough to walk on when new
    Last edited by Frank S; Dec 24, 2019 at 11:59 PM.

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    I was going to ask how you were going to keep the insulation in place, and figured you would post this when you got to it.
    How many trailers of material do you have? Sorta looks like you collect them

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by metric_taper View Post
    I was going to ask how you were going to keep the insulation in place, and figured you would post this when you got to it.
    How many trailers of material do you have? Sorta looks like you collect them
    Between my bud and me I think we have 17 semi trailers, 6 van or household goods trailers 4 flatbed 1 curtain side van 1 flatbed with a Conestoga kit making it a van that you can load like a flatbed, 2 sliding axle equipment type 2 step decks and 1 RGN (removable gooseneck lowbed Plus a couple shipping containers 2 P30 step van bread truck type trucks and a 28 ft U haul truck then there are the small utility trailers I have made over the years last count we have 4 or maybe 5 of them ranging in size and capacity from 4 by8 @ 3000 lbs to 8 by 20 @ 15,000 lbs
    So yes you could say we collect them

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

KustomsbyKent (Dec 26, 2019)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    This is turning out to be how not to build a work shop.
    Only getting 2 purlin installed per day when there are 40 of them to install is not my idea of how to build a shop.
    Moving the mobile scaffold takes quite a bit of time since I have to set the steering n it where I imagine it needs to go then chain it to my pickup so it can't runn off then push it a ways then get out and turn the steering wheel so the unit can straighten up, push it some more until it is about straight and has moved enough to the side to set the next couple of purlin then pull it back to where I need it. turning the steering wheel is Armstrong steering since the engine is not running hence no power steering and doing this while it is not moving makes that task that much harder. Thinking backwards now I wished I would have flew the next section of purlin up from the beginning. If I had I would now have nearly half of the purlin up for the roof and could have saved some moving time of the scaffold unit. But I was thinking about something else when I started then it was too late once I shifted the first time. Anyway now I have only 2 more purlin I can install then I have to move a bunch of stuff that is in the way for the next side or shift back and finish the other half of this side, but once I start on that side I am going to do the whole side as I go. I feel I have wasted a window of good weather although the wind has not been the most cooperative at times
    Took the first step towards building my shop-wp_20191225_17_46_35_richpo.jpg

Took the first step towards building my shop-wp_20191225_17_51_19_richpo.jpg

Thread Information