Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 9 of 41 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast

Thread: Took the first step towards building my shop

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Could chassis be moved better from front; a heavy [2 5/16"] trailer ball on forklift or frontloader, lifting front end so wheels aren't contacting ground? Maybe pull tires and weld up a landing gear?

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks
    Thanked 8,787 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    Could chassis be moved better from front; a heavy [2 5/16"] trailer ball on forklift or frontloader, lifting front end so wheels aren't contacting ground? Maybe pull tires and weld up a landing gear?
    it could providing there was room between where the shop is and where I have my vehicle detention center that I call the dog pound because there are more Mack bull dogs than other critters Also that pencil sharpener is sitting smack in the way of things
    Right now it would be difficult to use the receiver on the fork carriage of the front end loader due to having the gin pole and hoist on it. My duel wheeled fork lift spends more time buried in the ground than rolling it is barely maneuverable around as long as I can remain on the area where I have hardened it up with the select fill clay drive of the edge of where that is and it sinks to the frame. hence the pushing and pulling from the rear
    one helper who could either drive the pickup or could steer the bus while it was moving would have been a big help.
    Jane won't drive the pickup because the size of it and having to push or pull the bus chassis scares her and she surely is not strong enough to steer the bus.

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Dec 26, 2019)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Even after having to take time to change a tire then go to town get fuel have the tire fixed and a few other go to town things that had to be done.
    I managed to get 4 purlin installed today these area at the highest part of the trusses so my scaffold was more of a its there as a fall stop than anything else since the center of the trusses are over 6 feet from the bottom of them it meant climbing on them and working while standing on the braces or sitting on top of the truss to weld them in place.
    Took the first step towards building my shop-wp_20191226_17_07_00_richcv.jpg
    This puts the to the point of either doing the back half of the same side or moving a lot of stuff to do the other side. Or going ahead and sheeting what I have to give me a 30 ft by 36 ft roof over head. On the one hand having a partial roof would be better than no roof but that means having to change up what I am doing. IT would mean I would have a completed area to put the project that is currently under the tent though and the tent has to come down soon anyway. Heck I have almost knocked it down already.
    But I think I will carry on and install the other 10 purlin on the second half of the side I am working on then sheet the whole half then move everything from the other side and not have to take a step forward while taking 2 backwards.
    The stuff that needs moved is the 3 axle set currently under the tent and the 50 ft trailer that I have on dollies and can only be moved sideways
    Took the first step towards building my shop-wp_20191226_17_11_55_richcv.jpg

Took the first step towards building my shop-wp_20191226_17_12_33_richcv.jpg
    Once I finish with the roof these bar joists will be used to make a 30 by 40 lean to on the south side of the building
    Took the first step towards building my shop-wp_20191226_17_14_05_richcv.jpg
    these white standing seam panels will be the roof of the lean to.
    originally the bar joists and the panels were used as a cover for a large RV
    I have almost enough panels to make a 30 ft wide lean to the full length of the building
    Took the first step towards building my shop-wp_20191226_17_14_38_richcv.jpg
    Took the first step towards building my shop-wp_20191226_17_15_20_richcv.jpg
    This pile of pipes is what I will be using to run my air system throughout the shop I have close to 2000 feet of 1 " 1 1/4" and 1 1/2" pipe in that pile with a smattering of a couple hundred feet of 2 " & 2 1/2" pipe more than enough to plumb an air system with.
    Took the first step towards building my shop-wp_20191226_17_15_09_richcv.jpg

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    A lot of pipe! Run a branch to St. Joseph? I'm not a big consumer of compressed air . . .
    Maybe I can find an unfracked reservoir in OK or southwest KS. Never mind, you are busy enough.
    Actually, I have a 3ph dual voltage 80 gallon upright and 60 gallon reservoir, in opposite corners. One for quiet, one where the action is. PLENTY!
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    I knew those clouds in the sky yesterday were not going to be friendly to my quest. Sure enough woke up this morning to the sound of moisture trying to fall from the sky. A Foggy drizzle just enough to make it less than appetizing to weld with an AC stick machine

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    A lot of pipe! Run a branch to St. Joseph? I'm not a big consumer of compressed air . . .
    Maybe I can find an unfracked reservoir in OK or southwest KS. Never mind, you are busy enough.
    Actually, I have a 3ph dual voltage 80 gallon upright and 60 gallon reservoir, in opposite corners. One for quiet, one where the action is. PLENTY!
    When it comes to pneumatic tools, I am a firm believer that they are like having fire arms behind every door stashed in every corner hanging on every wall under every place one can be hidden because the walk in closet gun safe will no longer hold any more,you will only have too many air tools when there is not a square foot of work area left unoccupied with one. I plan to have drops water traps and filters with the possibility of also regulators through out the shop many areas will have manifolds of quick disconnects and shut off valves before every manifold. Many of the locations will have the 3/8" and 3/4' inch quick connects
    This will hold true for electrical outlets as well. I haven't decided what to do about center bay work stations should the need arise, I might decide to embed recessed conduits for future use. I hate having cords or hoses strung out all over the floor that have to be moved to roll a tool box or drive a forklift or vehicle through an area.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Dec 29, 2019)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    I have been needing to remove a power line that used to go to my well from the poles but getting up there was becoming a vertical challenge. My 30 ft ladder was several feet too short and too wobbly to suit me at that kind of height anyway I no longer own a pair of climbing gaffs and haven't climbed a pole in 30 or 40 years or longer anyway. It seemed silly to even think about trying to erect a scaffold that high and next to impossible by myself.
    So what I did this morning was to put on my safety harness with a fall arresting loop on the back and my safety belt with tie off lanyard then hooked myself to the hook on the hoist and raised myself up, hooked my lanyard around the pole and released the clips that held the line to the insulators and tie off on the pole, lowered myself back to the ground and job done no more overhead obstruction. total time from ground level back to ground level less than a couple minutes
    Took the first step towards building my shop-wp_20191228_11_09_48_progh.jpg

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    So you're saying you were just hanging around.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by jdurand View Post
    So you're saying you were just hanging around.
    My mother used to threaten to hang me up on a hook by the suspenders on my overalls for some of the things I did I finally made good on her threat and hung myself on a hook.
    I had thought about making a Bosons chair then I thought why make something that I already had better. It worked so well that I was able to remove the line without damaging the loop clamps that held it in place because I had the lanyard around the pole and my legs wrapped around it to stabilize myself freeing both hands to work on the line

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    When it comes to pneumatic tools, I am a firm believer... plan to have drops water traps and filters with the possibility of also regulators through out the shop many areas will have manifolds of quick disconnects and shut off valves before every manifold. Many of the locations will have the 3/8" and 3/4' inch quick connects
    This will hold true for electrical outlets as well. I haven't decided what to do about center bay work stations should the need arise, I might decide to embed recessed conduits for future use. I hate having cords or hoses strung out all over the floor that have to be moved to roll a tool box or drive a forklift or vehicle through an area.
    In full agreement.
    My case;
    Pneumatics get 3/4" perimeter line and QD's, keeps 3/8" hoses off lanes of rolling stock.
    A pair of lines overhead with reels either side of centerline.

Electrics;
    120v perimeter with outlets spaced same as air QD's. Aside vacuuming, 120v doesn't figure big with me. Power feeds and work-lights; small buck transformers already hung on most respective machine tools.
    Machine tools [98% are 3ph 60hz 440v] all get drops from the 8" square wireway main or branches(*1), more volume [20% area is 931 12ga THHN conductors and grounds!(2*)] never require fully. Have 360' worth, bought surplus $10 each, to run main plus 3 branches, and elevator style [rectangular 2x4] for 2 or 3 ganged light switch stations at doors.
    Have three VFD's for 380v 50hz machines, greatly simplifies wiring scheme.
    Still don't have a big amp receptacle/ plug or dedicated disconnect for the Lincoln 250A stick welder, real long pigtail.
    Have surplus [excess] lighting fixtures. But they'll work out; 120v LEDs pendants into conduit receptacles, flush + 1/2" for drywall, to enable work at night. After wireway is up I have many 12' fluorescent T8 277v fixtures. Via 3-way switches, allow whatever lighting for work at hand, including night lights for egress.
    Now equipped with shear/ punch/ beader/ brake/ bender, I'll fabricate separators for each branch of wireway, to further enhance cooling, tracing, adding circuits.

Yes, there will be a build thread, once family things are done in CA, around 1st of February. A brick structure, 6500 sq ft, 16' ceiling free span, loading dock high, 1 ramp, needs one more though. Machinery [except grinding and sawing] all in place and leveled.
    Yes. IT HAS TAKEN FOREVER GETTING THIS FAR!

*1 https://www.google.com/search?client...w=1600&bih=736
    *2 https://www.hoffmanonline.com/stream...6140&pRID=2123
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

Thread Information