Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gin pole and hoist for my Bckhoe

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools

Gin pole and hoist for my Bckhoe

By adding a few things to the fork carriage of my backhoe I have pretty much transformed it into a skyhook. Well Hardly but a very useful addition to my arsenal to say the least
    First off I had to repair an old roofing hoist I had in order for any of this to be worth doing.
    I made a mount for the hoist and a gin pole this will allow me to use any length pole that I can safely pick up with the loader
    Gin pole and hoist for my Bckhoe-wp_20191207_12_20_57_proqw.jpg
    Gin pole and hoist for my Bckhoe-wp_20191207_12_21_18_proqw.jpg
    Then I made a pair of chain eyes to use as anchor points for when I am carrying long bulky and otherwise unyieldingly hard to carry loads on the forks, also to use as stabilizing anchors for a Mono gin pole.
    Gin pole and hoist for my Bckhoe-wp_20191207_16_36_29_proqw.jpg
    Next I made the top block point sheave to fit on the pole and to anchor the ends of the chains with to give me triangular stabilizers for the gin pole.
    Gin pole and hoist for my Bckhoe-wp_20191206_16_26_37_richqaz.jpg
    Gin pole and hoist for my Bckhoe-wp_20191206_16_34_17_richqaz.jpg
    I left a lip on one side then staked the bearing in the sheave.
    Gin pole and hoist for my Bckhoe-wp_20191206_17_15_42_richqaz.jpg
    Gin pole and hoist for my Bckhoe-wp_20191207_16_37_01_proqw.jpg
    Put it all together with the pipe I used as my spreader bar extension
    Gin pole and hoist for my Bckhoe-wp_20191207_17_24_03_proqw.jpg
    And this is what I came up with
    Gin pole and hoist for my Bckhoe-wp_20191207_17_29_00_richqw.jpg
    Now I will be able to fly the purlins a few at a time then afterwards lift the insulation and the sheet metal

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Frank S; Dec 7, 2019 at 10:18 PM.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Dec 10, 2019), baja (Dec 10, 2019), GedB (Dec 10, 2019), harleyron74 (Dec 9, 2019), Jon (Dec 9, 2019), KustomsbyKent (Dec 13, 2019), NortonDommi (Dec 9, 2019), rgsparber (Dec 9, 2019), rlm98253 (Dec 9, 2019), Scotty12 (Dec 9, 2019), Seedtick (Dec 9, 2019), suther51 (Dec 9, 2019), Toolmaker51 (Apr 8, 2022)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks Frank S! We've added your Gin Pole and Hoist to our Hoists category,
    as well as to your builder page: Frank S's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

Rangi (Dec 9, 2019)

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    So the roofing hoist is electric, how do you operate the tractor with that attachment? Extension cord seems to be a pain to keep from being ran over and such. I'm surprised you didn't put a hydraulic motor in the hoist and add a spool valve to your control.
    Looks like you fabricated the big cable sheave, from scrap, and got some lathe work as well.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by metric_taper View Post
    So the roofing hoist is electric, how do you operate the tractor with that attachment? Extension cord seems to be a pain to keep from being ran over and such. I'm surprised you didn't put a hydraulic motor in the hoist and add a spool valve to your control.
    Looks like you fabricated the big cable sheave, from scrap, and got some lathe work as well.
    The only time I will need to operate the hoist is when parked. A little bit of a pain to have to run the extension cord but I had the hoist already.
    I have a 10,000 lb 12v Ramsey I could have used and may install it someday I also have a 13,000 lb Tulsa hydraulic and a spool valve that could be added to give me auxiliary hydraulic power either winch would be a better alternative to having to deal with a cord but both would have required a lot more fabrication and connection time and possibly money to mount and connect Also I didn't have cable for either one and both would have been over powered for what I need to accomplish at this time. Plus could lead to my trying to lift too much weight overpowering the balance of the backhoe or compromising the gin pole. This is not to say that either might not be modified to mount at a later date with a shortened gin pile though.
    The roofing hoist is awfully fast so I might add a sheave and 2 line the thing to cut the speed down also giving me more lifting capacity or I might add an SCR controller to slow it down if need be
    Last edited by Frank S; Dec 10, 2019 at 08:49 AM.

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    The roofing hoist is awfully fast so I might add a sheave and 2 line the thing to cut the speed down also giving me more lifting capacity or I might add an SCR controller to slow it down if need be
    I've seen RF remotes intended for hoists on eBay. They are from China.
    The last time I saw one in action (RF remote control), the roofing supplier was delivering (flying) to my garage roof top shingles. That was reaching over a lower roof garage space.
    I take it that the motor must be a universal motor. That's a good thing.
    Hope to see the unit in action.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to metric_taper For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Dec 12, 2019)

Thanks

stillldoinit's Tools
    Brings back memories from about 20 years ago. I had an old Allis Chalmers Hdg6 track loader probably from mid fifites. Had a 2 1/2" thick wall tube welded on the back of the bucket. We had been on 2 week vacation and on return home had no water. We wete on 10 acres in the country. The well was 160 feet deep with submersible pump. I stuck a 20 foot length of 2" pipe in the square tube and hung a pulley with a rope from a chain hooked in the end and raised as high as it would go. I made an adapter to screw in the pitless adapter and pulled the pump with the whole lengjt of pvc pipe still in place. The new pump was about $300. The emergency service call and pump mark up to replace it that I did not have to make would have been about $1700.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to stillldoinit For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Dec 12, 2019)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by stillldoinit View Post
    Brings back memories from about 20 years ago. I had an old Allis Chalmers Hdg6 track loader probably from mid fifites. Had a 2 1/2" thick wall tube welded on the back of the bucket. We had been on 2 week vacation and on return home had no water. We wete on 10 acres in the country. The well was 160 feet deep with submersible pump. I stuck a 20 foot length of 2" pipe in the square tube and hung a pulley with a rope from a chain hooked in the end and raised as high as it would go. I made an adapter to screw in the pitless adapter and pulled the pump with the whole lengjt of pvc pipe still in place. The new pump was about $300. The emergency service call and pump mark up to replace it that I did not have to make would have been about $1700.
    Thanks you just reminded me, I need to pull my well again sometime this winter the gin pole will make it a lot easier than the last time I pulled it by hand with a block & tackle

Thanks

stillldoinit's Tools
    Chuckle, I'm here for you man.

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,792 Times in 11,326 Posts
    Congratulations Frank S - your Gin Pole and Hoist is the Homemade Tool of the Week!

Your massive shop build is yielding many nice homemade tools, and this is definitely one of them.

Some more good builds from this week:

Clamp by mariost
    Stove by Mr.DK DIY
    Belt Grinder by Kwandotechnic
    Plank Planing Setup by garage nut
    Workplace Warmer by Christofix
    Transmission Holding Fixture by tony b
    Wood Lathe by RCTURKA
    Soldering Tips by darkoford
    Beehive Frame Wiring Jig by ranald
    Knife by Matt Owens
    Welding Cart by Making Stuff
    Concrete Weld Mesh Lifter by ranald
    Angle Dresser by Tek12h
    Sheetmetal Cutting Tool by Kwandotechnic
    Disc Sander by Didpoolhall

Frank S - you'll be receiving a $25 online gift card, in your choice of Amazon, PayPal, or bitcoin. Please PM me your current email address and gift card choice and I'll get it sent over right away.

This is your 7th Homemade Tool of the Week. Here are all of your Homemade Tool of the Week winning tools. Congrats again

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    To make my gin pole & hoist more user friendly IE to slow down the rate to lift or lowering I added the 2 snatch blocks I made this gives a 3 to 1 reduction in speed and also increases the load capacity of the hoist not that I needed that
    now the gin pole takes on the resemblance more similar to that of a small crane
    First the 4 inch block was added to the top
    Gin pole and hoist for my Bckhoe-wp_20191220_17_55_56_richasa.jpg
    Next the cable was reeved through the 2 blocks and hooked to the top of the 6 inch block giving me the 3 to 1 reduction in speed.
    Gin pole and hoist for my Bckhoe-wp_20191220_17_55_08_richasa.jpg
    It is worth noting that the hook on the cable is rated for 1 1/2 ton the hook on the block is rated for 5 tons which keeps the proportional strength in play not something that was planned it just happened that I had a 5 ton hook laying around and it looked like it would be the perfect place to use it
    Last edited by Frank S; Dec 21, 2019 at 09:19 AM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

thehomeengineer (Dec 21, 2019)

Thread Information